Wrongful Death Claim Atlanta – What You Need To Know
You may have a cause for a “wrongful death” claim if your loved one dies in an accident or due to injury he or she sustained. Any misconduct or negligence of another person, entity or company that leads to the death of an individual will give rise to a wrongful death claim Atlanta.
The representative of the deceased person’s estate is the one responsible for bringing the claim for wrongful death. He or she will be making the wrongful death claim Atlanta on behalf of the statutory beneficiaries that usually including the children, surviving spouses and other immediate family members including the parents.
Children under the age of 18 must find an adult guardian to file a wrongful death lawsuit in court.
What Are Some Typical Wrongful Death Claims Atlanta?
- The following are some of the grounds for a potential wrongful death lawsuit:
- A careless act or negligent, such as a drunk driver or speeding.
- A defective vehicle caused a truck or auto accident.
- Negligence of a company in the use of faulty vehicles or the enforcement of the safety regulations.
Can I File Both A Wrongful Death And A Personal Injury Claim?
Apart from the damages for wrongful death, you may seek compensation for the damages due to personal injury your loved one suffered. These claims are referred to as “survival actions.” They cover the conscious suffering, pain, and apprehension of the decedent before death. The damages for a survival action belong to the estate of the decedent.
What Damages Can I Recover In A Wrongful Death Claim Atlanta?
- The damages, which you can recover in a wrongful death lawsuit include:
- The immediate expenses related to the death, such as funeral and medical costs.
- Lost victim’s wages and expected earnings in future until the time of death or retirement.
- Lost benefits as a result of victim’s death, including medical coverage, retirement plans or pension, and other savings.
- Lost affection, love, emotional support and companionship to the survivors.
How Do I File A Personal Injury Or Wrongful Death Claim?
You should contact a wrongful death attorney and get the following information:
- Medical Costs –Ensure that you document all the medical expenses related to the injury that leads to the death of your loved one, including all hospital expenses.